Welcome to the Wise County and City of Norton Circuit Court Clerk’s office webpage. We are honored to serve the residents of Wise County and the city of Norton. This office provides expedient and efficient service to the general public, attorneys, judges and other agencies in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Appeals from General District Court, Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court and administrative agencies
- Civil cases
- All monetary claims over $25,000
- Criminal cases, including all felonies and crimes punishable by commitment to the State penitentiary for one year or more
- Collection of fines, costs and restitution
- Disbursement of restitution
- Electronic maintenance of court records
The Clerk of Circuit Court is one of five constitutional officers elected by the citizens of Wise County and the city of Norton. The Clerk of Court office was first established in Wise County in 1856 and it has functioned continuously for more than 160 years. Jack Kennedy, the current Clerk, was first elected in 1995.
Circuit Court Clerks in Virginia perform duties that in many states are divided among three or more separate offices. Virginia has chosen to combine judicial and administrative functions into a single office, saving citizens significant tax dollars. The Code of Virginia lists over 800 responsibilities and duties for the Clerk.
The Wise County and City of Norton Circuit Court is a trial court of general jurisdictions, having control over the following: