206 East Main St. Wise, VA 24293 Wise, VA 24293

Concealed Handgun Permit Information

General Information. Any Wise County resident over the age of 21 may apply in person or by notarized application after submitting proof of sufficient handgun training and application fee of $50.00. Once an application has been received by the Clerk’s Office, a background check will be performed and all documentation will be reviewed. Granted applications will receive notice by mail.

The following are examples of acceptable proof of training:

  1. Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state;
  2. Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
  3. Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services;
  4. Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
  5. Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in the Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause;
  6. Presenting evidence of current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services;
  7. Completing any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor.


Where can I find more information? Please reference the Virginia State Police website for more FAQs and for an up-to-date list of states that offer agreements and/or reciprocity for Virginia Permits.

After reviewing this information, click the link to fill out and submit the Application for a Concealed Weapon Permit to start the process.